To replace a missing tooth that has neighboring teeth with decay and/or large fillings, or a tooth that has been missing for a long time (i.e., with bone loss in that area), we recommend bridges as an alternative to dental implants.
At Rachel Barnhart DDS, we offer high-quality, customized dental bridges to achieve the best results for your smile.
Types of Dental Bridges
- Fixed dental bridge. This type of bridge stays cemented in place and can only be removed by a dentist. Since fixed bridges stay in the mouth, they feel very similar to natural teeth.
- Implant-supported dental bridge. For implant-supported dental bridges, dental implants are first placed within the jawbone to take the place of missing teeth and support the bridge.
Although it may not seem urgent when a tooth has to be removed, having a missing tooth can be detrimental for a few different reasons:
- Surrounding teeth have to endure larger pressures while biting and chewing
- Surrounding teeth may also shift to fill in the space, causing a misaligned bite
- Teeth that have shifted can also become harder to clean, which in turn can increase the risk of tooth decay
Advantages of Dental Bridges
- Dental bridges are durable and long-lasting
- While missing teeth can lead to a lack of confidence while smiling, bridges are built to blend seamlessly into your smile
- Bridges are bonded securely so you can eat and speak with confidence
What to Expect with Dental Bridges
During your consultation with Dr. Barnhart, she will make a thorough examination of your teeth and help you determine if dental bridges are the best course of action for your dental goals. Once you are approved to get a dental bridge, Dr. Barnhart and her team will walk you through the process and let you know what to expect.
To maintain the integrity and longevity of your dental bridge, brush, and floss daily as you would with your natural teeth. If your bridge is removable, Dr. Barnhart will give you advice on how to properly clean and care for your bridge. Maintaining your oral hygiene with routine dental checkups and cleanings will also help our team ensure that you’re getting the best results.